Holmes Junior College evolved from Holmes County Agricultural High School which had its beginnings in 1911, when the town of Goodman provided forty acres of land and the Board of Trustees bought forty-two acres of land on the west side of Goodman, Mississippi, and established Holmes County Agricultural High School.
In 1922 the state legislature made it legal for the agricultural high schools to add two years of college work. In 1925-26 school session, the first year of college work was added and in 1928-29 school session, the second year was added making the school a full-fledged junior college and eligible to award the Associate of Arts degree.
The support of the college has expanded from the original county of Holmes to include Carroll, Attala, Madison, Choctaw, Montgomery, Grenada, Webster, and Yazoo counties. The state, through legislative appropriations, has assumed an increasing responsibility for the support of junior colleges in Mississippi. Thus, through district and state cooperation Holmes Junior College has built a plant on the Goodman campus and has come to take its place among the best junior colleges in the state system.
As a result of extensive study and strategic planning conducted in 1981 and 1982 involving all segments of the junior college community, the decision was made to build new centers in the northern and southern ends of the geographically large district. The main purpose of the centers was to make the educational programs and services of the college available to a greater percentage of the district population. Under the leadership of the board of Trustees, the new centers were planned and built in the communities of Grenada and Ridgeland and were occupied in 1985.
In November of 1988 the Board of Trustees took action to change the name of the institution to Holmes Community College. The name change was made to more accurately reflect the comprehensive and multifaceted mission of the modern two-year college.
The change was subsequently approved by the state Board for community and Junior colleges in December of 1988, to be effective July 1, 1989.