There are many things to consider before you decide to take internet-based courses.
They break down into the following categories:
Minimum computer / technology requirements
- An IBM-compatible PC with a Pentium Processor 233 MHz or higher, and Window XP, Vista or Windows 7 OR a Macintosh with OSX 10.5 or above.
- At least 100 MB of free HD space
- A 56K modem. Broadband (such as DSL or Cable) a major plus.
- An Internet connection through an Internet service provider (ISP). Holmes will not provide an ISP for you at home, but all online students are welcome to use any of the public computers at any of our campuses.
- Firefox 19, 20 and 21
- Chrome 24, 24, and 26
- Safari 5 and 6
- Flash 9, 10, and 11
- Students must use their Holmes email account to communicate with their online instructors.
- Students must be able to attach a document to an email, and able to receive an email with an attachment and know how to open it
- Students must meet any technology related prerequisites that exist for the specific course they wish to take. Some courses will require software beyond a web browser. For example, Microsoft Word is a common program required by some classes. Check the course detail form at the MSVCC course offerings website, or contact the instructor directly and ask for any specific software that will be required beyond a web browser.