The Holmes Concert Chorale strives to perform quality music from all periods and styles of music history—from early music to present day, from classical/traditional to popular. This group sometimes travels across the nine-county district and beyond to perform at local community events, high schools, and churches.
Concert Chorale presents two major campus concerts each year—a traditional Carols of Christmas concert in December, and a high-energy Spring Pops Concert in late April or early May. This group also participates in an annual joint concert, which features all of our Fine Arts Department’s bands, choirs, and small ensembles, and occasionally spotlights our private lesson students and music faculty. During the spring semester of each year, Chorale performs at the State Community College & Junior College Choral Festival. When possible, Chorale also performs at district, community, and campus events upon request.
The Holmes Concert Chorale has been privileged to travel to and perform in several prestigious worldwide venues:
- Carnegie Hall in New York City, NY
- Goodwill European tours to Spain, England, and France, including a performance at the revered Notre Dame Cathedral
- Hawaii, including Pearl Harbor, and an exchange concert on the campus of Brigham Young University-Hawaii
Chorale also frequently performs with accomplished music organizations, such as the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra, the Mississippi Chorus, and the Gulf Coast Symphony Orchestra.
The Holmes Coachmen Singers is our unique and select advanced choral ensemble that performs challenging music of all styles, with special emphasis on the very popular collegiate a cappella genre, which has been highlighted in such television series as The Sing-Off and Glee, as well as sacred choral music and gospel. This group is one of the two primary traveling choral ensembles for the college. The Coachmen perform throughout the nine-county district and beyond to perform at local community events, high schools, and churches.
The Coachmen Singers also participate with Concert Chorale and The Holmes Connection! in the two major campus concerts each year— Carols of Christmas and the Spring Pops Concert, as well as the annual joint concert, with the entire Fine Arts Department. Because of this ensemble’s emphasis on sacred music, many local and district churches frequently call on them to participate in their weekly worship services and activities. However, the group is equally in demand for performances of popular collegiate a cappella music throughout the district.
The Coachmen Singers have been privileged to travel to and perform in several prestigious worldwide venues:
- Carnegie Hall in New York City, NY
- National Festival of States in Washington, D.C., performing at such historical venues as the Lincoln Memorial, Mount Vernon, and the Washington Cathedral
- Goodwill European tours to Spain, England and France, including a performance at the revered Notre Dame Cathedral
Auditions & scholarships
Generous scholarships are available for any singer who participates in choral ensembles, and are awarded by audition. Full talent-based scholarships are available for disciplined commitment to rehearsal and performance, and can be applied to tuition, dormitory room, and three provided meals per school day. Audition and scholarship information can be obtained by contacting Mr. Joel Hill, Director of Choral & Vocal Music, by phone, 662.472.9032, or via e-mail, email@example.com.
Options for Stage and Road Crew & Choir Manager
Scholarship opportunities are also available for Crew and Manager positions:
Stage & Road Crew – If you like to build and create through hands-on projects, Holmes has a place for you. We offer opportunities to work behind the scenes of our music ensembles and fine arts programs. Each crew member works with the Director to create a professional, exciting visual and aural show. Crew members gain experience in the following areas:
- Building stage props
- Assembling sound tech, lighting tech, and special effects
- Maintaining all equipment and tools
- Working backstage—facilitating set changes, haze machines, microphones, & wardrobe changes
Choir Manager—The Choir Manager positions are vital to the success of our choral music
ensembles. Each manager works with the Director to create a professional and enjoyable choral experience.
- Maintain the choral music library and uniform inventory
- Run errands around campus and general office work
- Create computer documents, databases, and files
- Work backstage at concerts and events, and distribute publicity materials
- Travel with the choral ensembles to assist in stage performances
Director of Choral Music
Montgomery Fine Arts, Office #12