In cases where residency documentation is required, two forms of supporting documentation
must be in the student's admissions record.
If born outside the United States, graduated from a high school outside Mississippi,
attended a college outside Mississippi or report an out-of-state address you must
prove Mississippi residency.
- Green card holders are eligible for in-state tuition (must provide a copy of green
card along with approved documentation below)
- Visa holders are not eligible for in-state tuition (Holmes accepts H-4 and R-2 visa
- If 21 years of age and older provide two forms of approved documentation.
- If under 21 years of age, residency is determined by the parental/guardian residence.
- Provide two forms of approved documentation for the same parent.
- The student may be asked to provide a copy of the birth certificate that shows the
parent and student name.
- The student must provide guardianship documents issued by a MS court or the MS Dept
of Human Services if claiming the residency status of a legal guardian.
- Independent students must provide two forms of approved documentation indicating residency,
and provide documentation proving their independence from parents or guardian.
If a student has a break in enrollment with Holmes Community College updated residency
documents are required.
Residency Documentation Deadlines
Two of the following items must be provided showing the name and address of the student,
parent, and/or spouse proving residency. These items must be received in the Admissions
Office by the following deadlines to avoid out-of-state fees:
- The deadline to clarify residency and have your fees removed for the fall or spring
term is 15 working days after final exams end.
- The deadline to clarify residency and have your fees removed for the summer term is
5 working days after final exams end.
List of Approved Residency Documents
Documents submitted as proof of MS residency must be current/issued prior to the start
of classes. In cases where residency documentation is required, two forms of supporting documentation
must be in the file.
Acceptable supporting documentation may include:
- Current Mississippi Driver's License or State issued ID
- Mortgage document (must match address on admissions application)
- Homestead exemption (must match address on admissions application)
- Guardianship documents (issued by a Mississippi Court or the Mississippi Dept of Human
- Emancipation documents
- Prior or Prior-prior year State income tax return
- Mississippi voter registration
- Current Motor vehicle registration vehicles.
- Current employment documents (last pay stub, employment contract)
- Current utility bills (includes cell phones; must match address on admissions application)
- Electric bill
- Water bill
- Gas bill
- Land-line phone/internet/cable/satellite bill with service address
- Lease agreement (signed by lessor and lessee)
- Signed statement by the MS Dept. of Human Services or a certified letter from recognized
relief agency (such as the Salvation Army) certifying that the student is receiving
services as a homeless Mississippi resident.