College Safety Tips
Return to College Safety
- Avoid walking alone, especially at night. Call Campus Police ((601) 940-0089) for
an escort, if necessary.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Avoid unpopulated and poorly or unlit areas after dark.
- If you feel you are being followed, change direction and walk towards a populated
- If you are confronted, don't panic. YELL! Use your adrenaline to your advantage.
- If assaulted, call Campus Police as soon as possible:
Safety around the vehicle
- Always park in lighted areas.
- Always lock your vehicle.
- Look around and under your vehicle during your approach.
- Check the front and back seats before you enter the vehicle.
- As soon as you are safely inside, lock the door.
- Never pick up a stranger.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
Vehicle theft / burglary prevention
- Record the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), license plate numbers and photo of
vehicle (if available). Keep this record stored in a safe place, other than the vehicle.
- Never leave your keys in an unattended vehicle.
- Keep all valuables out of sight. Lock them in the trunk when possible.
- LOCK IT! When you are in it and when you leave it.
- When walking, stay alert and always be aware of your surroundings and the people nearby.
Walk with confidence. Show that you are in control. Body language is important in
- Trust your instincts. If something or somebody makes you uncomfortable, get away immediately.
- Walk with a friend whenever possible. Stay clear of isolated or poorly lighted areas.
- If you think someone is following you, abruptly change directions. If you are still
being followed, go to the nearest public place and ask for help.
- If you don't want to walk across campus after dark, call a friend or Campus Police
for a campus escort.
- Never, ever hitchhike.
Maintaining a safe campus requires the efforts of everyone. Students are expected
- Lock the doors to their rooms at all times.
- Not prop open doors or entrances.
- Not allow strangers to enter his/her room.
- Call Campus Police ((601) 940-0089) for assistance when needed.
- Walk with others at night on campus
- Immediately report suspicious persons/activities to Campus Police.
- Take appropriate steps to secure personal property like computer, car, jewelry, stereos,
cell phones, etc.
- Read, understand, and abide by the College and Residence Hall Rules in the HCC Student
- Purchase home owners or renters insurance coverage for personal belongings.
- Provide input to the College about how the campus can be made safer.